Author Topic: Failure in Scleral lens design  (Read 4026 times)

Forrest

• View Profile
Failure in Scleral lens design
« on: January 17, 2013, 07:15:16 pm »
I would like to use the Medmont e300 to design my own scleral lens as big as 18mm

Unfortunately, I find that the peripheral curve setting was limited. For example, if the BOZD is 8.2mm with BOZR 8.0mm, the width of 1st peripheral curve 2.0mm, the smallest radius of 1st curve will be 9.15. I would like to set the radius of the 1st peripheral curve as 8.4mm, however, it was not allowed.

May Medmont amend that in the next update please?

Best regards,
Forrest

Michael

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Failure in Scleral lens design
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 08:24:59 am »
Hi Forrest,

Which version of Medmont Studio are you using?
Which contact lens are you trying to fit?

I have just done a fitting with the Custom 6 curve lens in Medmont Studio 5.3.1 and I was able to model a lens with BOZD 8.2mm and BOZR of 8mm and a 1st curve radius of 8.40. I had to turn off the Auto Update option so that the software doesn't try to calculate the appropriate curve geometry from the previous curves. Does that help?

Senior Software Engineer
Medmont Pty. Ltd.

Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 02:23:42 pm »
Dear Michael,

I have updated the version to 5.3.1 already, but the problem still persists.

For example if I want to set the curves as 8.0, 8.4, 9.0, 12.25 and 14.50, it will only allow the peripheral curves to be no steeper / smaller than 9.15, 10.65, 12.9 for the 1st to 3rd peripheral curves.

You may refer to the attached picture please?

Best regards,
Forrest

Michael

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 01:09:56 pm »
Hi Forrest,

I see the problem now. There is a restriction in the software that prevents the radii of outer curves getting less than or within a certain range of the previous curve. I believe this is the problem you are seeing. I will discuss this with the development staff to come up with a solution. I will post further details/updates here.

Thanks
Senior Software Engineer
Medmont Pty. Ltd.