Author Topic: Version 5. Client error  (Read 4766 times)

fkriel

• View Profile
Version 5. Client error
« on: May 11, 2012, 11:01:43 pm »
Hi

I get a port 8085 error when trying to connect a client to the Medmont Studio V5.2 server. Switching off firewall did not help (win XP client, Win 7 Server with Static IP). Any ideas?

Fanie Kriel

Michael

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Version 5. Client error
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 10:57:12 am »
Hi Kriel,

99% of the time this error is for the following reasons:
  • Network connection is broken between client and server PC.
  • Firewall is in place and is blocking communication on port 8085.
  • A virus scanner is running a firewall or sandbox that is preventing the client and server communicating (this is not always obvious).

Can you please try the following steps:
1. Reboot both PC's. You would be surprised the number of times this fixes things.
2. Rerun the Medmont Studio Configuration Tool on the client and verify that it completes without error.
3. Disable windows firewall on both the server and the client PC.
4. If you have any virus protection programs running on either the client or the server please temporarily disable them and retry the connection.
5. Verify that the 2 computers are communicating over the network. The best way to test this is to try and copy a file from PC1 to PC2 and then vice versa. Another method is to preform a ping test at the command prompt. From the client PC navigate to Windows Start Button > Accessories > Command Prompt, right click on it and select Run as Administrator. Once open type the following command:

Code: [Select]
ping PC2
Where PC2 is the name of the server PC you are trying to connect to. If the ping is getting through then you should see the following:

Reply from 192.168.16.5: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

6. The last test to preform is to check that another program isn't already using port 8085 which is required by Medmont Studio. This is a little harder to do. First of all close down the Medmont Studio server and client. Then on the client PC run the following command at the command prompt:

netstat -aon | find "8085"
This will give you a list of all active applications using port 8085. If the list is empty then nothing is listening on that port. If the list contains entries like the following:

TCP    0.0.0.0:8085           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       7800
Then an application is using port 8085 and must be moved to a different port to allow Medmont Studio to communicate. You can identify the application that is using this port by using the last number (7800 in this case) in the following command:

tasklist | find "7800"
This will return a line similar to this:

MedmontServer.exe             7800 Services                   0     14,960 K
In this case this indicates that the application using port 8085 is MedmontServer.exe which would be the case on a working client server installation of Medmont Studio.

See how you go with these tests and get back to me.

Senior Software Engineer
Medmont Pty. Ltd.

dmw69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 06:44:28 pm »
Hi,

I'm replying to this old thread because I have exactly the same problem. Most of the time we are getting the port 8085 error, but sometimes Studio does open successfully, so it's an intermittent problem. Same problem on any/all PCs in our network.

When I run the configuration tool I get the attached error message. (Medmont Studio is not running on the workstation while I am running the configuration tool.) What would this error mean?

Adam

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 05:11:53 pm »
Hi,

There are a couple of things you should consider here:

- v5 of Medmont Studio is a couple of years out of date now, so you may want to consider looking into v6.

- Medmont Studio requires a static IP address on the server PC to function correctly. If your server PC is getting assigned a different IP address at times, Medmont Studio will display the port error.

- Did you try the things mentioned earlier in the thread? What were the results?

- The IOException error you posted is not typical. Is this an actual Server OS? Could other users be logged in and running things?

- Has your PC updated to Windows10? v5 was created before Win10 existed, it is unlikely to work properly with that OS.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 05:13:38 pm by Adam »

dmw69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 09:02:46 am »
Thanks Adam, finally getting back to you about this one.

The configuration tool error was only short term and didn't persist. However the port 8085 error persisted. We had already tried rebooting, disabling anti-virus and firewall, opening a port on the router firewall, etc. We had previously had success with v5 with the same hardware and network so didn't see the need to update to v6 in order to solve the problem. We run Windows 7 on workstations, and windows server something on the server.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Medmont Studio from the server, but the problem remained. During configuration on the server, I noticed that the data file was located on the D drive of the server, not the C drive. I tried altering the sharing settings of the Medmont data folder on the D drive, no help.

I had also noticed that the configuration tool asks you to confirm the practice management integration - Sunix in my case. So I tried altering the sharing settings of the Sunix data folder, also on the D drive. This was yesterday, and so far, allowing the Sunix data folder to be shared for all users has seemed to work - no more port 8085 errors. 

Adam

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 01:18:09 pm »
If you are up and running again that's good, hopefully the problem is solved. However I would be surprised if the Sunix configuration was causing that particular problem, by far the most common cause for that error is having a server machine with a non-static IP address.