Author Topic: Point Grey Scorpion Camera Direct Show driver problem  (Read 7336 times)

Keith

• View Profile
    • Woodlyn Inc.
Point Grey Scorpion Camera Direct Show driver problem
« on: February 19, 2015, 07:22:59 am »
I am having trouble getting the Point Grey Scorpion (IEEE-1394) digital camera working in DV2000.  We are using Medmont Studio v6.0.3 on a Windows 7 SP1 32-bit PC. I have installed the FlyCapture 2.6 software from Point Grey Research and have made sure to register the directshow .DLL files that are typically required when using a direct show source. I am able to get the video to display using the FlyCapture software included with the driver package, however it will not display in Medmont Studio.  I have a test computer running Windows 7 SP1 32 bit and Medmont v5 installed using the same flycapture drivers, and it will work.  Is there a possibility this could be a problem with v6?  Thank you,

Keith

Michael

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Point Grey Scorpion Camera Direct Show driver problem
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 08:27:16 am »
Hi Keith,

Can I clarify whether you are using a DirectShow source type in both versions of Medmont Studio?

Kind Regards
Michael Eldridge
Senior Software Engineer
Medmont Pty. Ltd.

Keith

• View Profile
    • Woodlyn Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 12:22:21 am »
Yes, I am using the direct show image source on the computer I am testing with v5.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 08:43:36 am »
Hi Keith,

From memory, the flycapture software doesn't always use directshow for displaying video. I believe it attempts to use the native API to interface and receive frames from the camera. The only way to be certain is to use something like graphedit or palset which only use directshow for rendering. Palset comes with Medmont Studio and can be found in the following folder:

<Medmont Studio install folder>\M700\palset.exe

When you run that you should be able to select a DirectShow source for the point grey camera from the devices menu. Can you please try that and let me know how you go.

Kind Regards
Michael Eldridge 
Senior Software Engineer
Medmont Pty. Ltd.

Keith

• View Profile
    • Woodlyn Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 07:44:36 am »
I will check if the video source will display in palset.  In the mean time, I am attaching the Event Log from the Medmont studio application.  I believe these are the events that were logged when the PC crashed while trying to initialize the camera within the DV2000 image source setup window.  Perhaps these may help determine what is causing it?  Thank you.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 08:29:23 am »
Hi Keith,

This error is saying that the application is unable to find the VC++ 2005 runtime assemblies. Medmont Studio 6 no longer distributes the installer for these so if you have a camera that requires them we leave it up to their installer. Can you please have a look in the installed programs section of the control panel and see if you can find any entries for Microsoft Visual C++ 2xxx. You are looking for one that is dated 2005. If you can't find one then you will need to go to the Microsoft download site and find the appropriate download. DO NOT download the files directly from another site.

If it is there then you may have a problem where the flycapture software simply can't find the VC++ runtime objects. If you do a search of your PC for msvcp80.dll and msvcr80.dll and copy them to the same folder as the FlyCapture2.dll file, it may be enough.

Kind Regards
Michael Eldridge
Senior Software Engineer
Medmont Pty. Ltd.

Keith

• View Profile
    • Woodlyn Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 06:16:28 am »
Hi Michael,

I checked to see if any of the visual c++ runtimes were installed.  The computer did have 2005 C++ Runtime v8.0.61000 installed, but I also tried installing legacy versions v8.0.59193 and v8.0.50727 to see if there was a compatibility issue with that version.  None of these worked.  The computer will still crash anytime I attempt to select the image source type as "direct show", when it tries to display the video on screen.  I did try to access the camera using palset, and although it didn't crash the computer, I was unable to view the video stream.  I also copied the MSVCR80.dll and MSCVP80.dll to the flycapture directory as you suggested, and it did not resolve the problem.  Thank you,

Keith

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 08:35:51 am »
Hi Keith,

I think we are at a point where I really need to remote into the PC and have a look around. The fact that it doesn't work on Palset still indicates that the DirectShow side of things isn't working. Are you able to leave the PC on with a team viewer session running? You will need to email me the credentials to log in of course.

The alternative is for me to refer this issue to David Barretto who is available in your time zone and arrange for him to have an initial look at your issue.

Kind Regards
Michael Eldridge
Senior Software Engineer
Medmont Pty. Ltd.

Keith

• View Profile
    • Woodlyn Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 07:21:06 am »
Hi Michael,

I finally was able to arrange a remote connect session for this issue.  I have a team viewer support session configured.  I will send you an email with the information.  Thank you,

Keith